The name menara derives from the pavilion with its small green pyramid roof (menzeh), meaning lighthouse. Although there is no real lighthouse in the gardens, any building that is at a high altitude is locally known as menara, like the Menaret manaara mosque. The pavilion was built during the 16th century Saadi dynasty and renovated in 1869 by the Abderrahmane sultan of Morocco, who stayed here in the summer.
The pavilion and the pond (an artificial lake) are surrounded by orchards and olive groves. The intention of the basin was to irrigate the surrounding gardens and orchards using a sophisticated system of underground canals called a qanat. The basin is supplied with water thanks to an old hydraulic system that carries water from mountains located about 30 km from Marrakech. He also served as a martial station.